The important role played by the fisheries and aquaculture sector in food and nutrition security and chronic poverty reduction remains under-recognized and undervalued in West Africa. For example, efforts towards the growth of the fisheries and aquaculture sector have been very insufficient during the first decade of implementation of the ECOWAS Regional Agricultural Policy - ECOWAP (2025 Strategic Policy Framework).
Several ECOWAS Member States’ national fisheries and aquaculture policies and strategies were developed and adopted more than 10 years ago; currently, they need to be adapted to the evolving regional and global context to effectively address food and nutrition security concerns, as well as other emerging issues such as climate change, migration, youth unemployment in the fisheries and aquaculture sector. Furthermore, national fisheries and aquaculture policies and strategies are not clearly integrated into the country's National Agricultural Investment and Food and Nutrition Security Program (PNIASAN), which represents the single official national framework for the mobilization of internal and external financial and technical resources for the sustainable development of the sector. To improve on this situation, the ECOWAS Commission (Directorate of Agriculture and Rural Development) will conduct, through the Regional Agency for Agriculture and Food (RAAF), a consultancy service on the necessary updates of this national policy and strategy document for fisheries in Niger aimed at contributing to food and nutrition security and poverty reduction within the populations.
Purpose of the consultancy mission
This consultancy aims at supporting the review and update of the National Fisheries Strategy document of the Republic of Niger, and the development of its implementation action plan; in accordance with the new orientations of the National Agricultural Investment and Food and Nutrition Security Program of Niger, the ECOWAS Comprehensive Strategic Framework for the Development of Sustainable Fisheries and Aquaculture in West Africa (CSDD PAD), the African Union policy and strategic framework for fisheries and aquaculture reform, and other relevant international instruments.
During this mission, the Consultant will deliver to the Regional Agency for Agriculture and Food (RAAF) of the ECOWAS Commission and the Directorate of Fisheries Production of Niger the followings:
- The draft version of the updated Niger's fisheries strategy document and its action plan.
- The final version of the updated national fisheries strategy document and that of its adopted action plan and the report of the validation workshop in Niger.
More specifically, the Consultant will undertake, under the supervision of the Director of Agriculture and Rural Development of the ECOWAS Commission and the Directorate of Fisheries Production of Niger, the following tasks:
- Writing an initial report (understanding of the terms of reference, presenting the methodology and work timeline of the consultancy mission).
- Conducting an analytical review with a view of updating Niger's national fisheries strategy document, and developing its implementation action plan in accordance with the new orientations of the National Agricultural Investment and Food and Nutrition Security Program of the Republic of Niger.
- Presenting the draft version of the updated National Fisheries Strategy document at the validation workshop and drafting the report thereof.
- Finalizing the updated National Fisheries Strategy Document of Niger and its implementation action plan taking into account the observations and recommendations of the workshop.
Required Qualifications and Experience
The Consultant will be selected on the basis of the following criteria:
- Holding a postgraduate degree (at least a Master’s degree) in fisheries, economics and/or natural resources management or maritime affairs with an expertise in fisheries policy and governance or in another fisheries and aquaculture related field.
- Having at least a 10 year relevant experience in fisheries management, fisheries policy analysis or fisheries policy assistance ;
- Having a proof of relevant experience in planning and implementation of programs and policies in the fisheries sector or related fields.
Fluency in one of the three working languages of ECOWAS (English, French, and Portuguese) is required. Good linguistic knowledge (written and spoken) of a second working language of the Commission would be an asset.
Location, Duration and Start of the Mission
The Consultant will be Niamey-based (Niger) and will work closely with the Fisheries and Aquaculture Production Directorate of Niger and the FAO FIRST Program Senior Fisheries and Aquaculture Policy Officer located in ECOWAS. The duration of the consultancy is 21 working days spread over a maximum period of two months.
The applicant is required to provide the followings:
- A letter of expression of interest, including the time limit for availability;
- A recent curriculum vitae detailing professional experiences and similar assignments;
- A document stating his understanding of the terms of reference and presenting the methodology to be used (5 pages maximum).
- Three professional references (first and last names, current position, position at the time of the collaboration with the Consultant, email and telephone contacts)
- A Copy of the highest degree;
- A Copy of the proof of work or service rendered, listed in the curriculum vitae;
NB: Incomplete applications will be rejected.
The consultant will be selected using the qualification-based selection method as defined in the ECOWAS Public Procurement Code. Only short-listed applications will be contacted. The RAAF reserves the right not to proceed with this expression of interest.
Applications must be received at the latest by 13 May 2020 at 16:00 hrs GMT, by e-mail at the following address:
Agence Régionale pour l’Agriculture et l’Alimentation (ARAA)
83, Rue de la Pâture, Lomé, Togo
Subject: "Application for Review and update of Fisheries Sustainable Development Strategy of the Republic of Niger and the development of its implementation action plan ".
NB: Application subject should read:
"Application for Review and update of Fisheries Sustainable Development Strategy of the Republic of Niger and the development of its implementation action plan"
Failure to state the above on the application, will be grounds for no consideration.