The ECOWAS Heads of State and Government adopted, in January 2005 in Accra, the regional agricultural policy, ECOWAP, which constitutes the regional declination of the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP), the agricultural component of NEPAD.
Within the institutional framework for the implementation of this policy, Regulation C/REG.1/08/11 established the Regional Agency for Agriculture and Food (RAAF). Its mandate is to "Ensure the technical implementation of programs and regional investment plan and contribute to the operationalization of the ECOWAS agricultural policy, by working with regional institutions, agencies and stakeholders with proven expertise".
The Agency, which has its headquarters in Lomé, Togo Republic, was officially launched on 27 September 2013.
Since its launch, RAAF has coordinated the implementation of several projects and programmes contributing to the operationalization of the ECOWAS Regional Agricultural Policy.
With financial support of the Swiss Cooperation through the Livestock Marketing Support Programme in West Africa (PACBAO), RAAF is recruiting a Consultant, Communication Assistant, to support its communication and visibility activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the Coordination of the Executive Director and the Supervision of the RAAF’s Advocacy and Communication Officer, the duties and responsibilities of the Consultant are as follows:
- Contribute to the deployment of the RAAF's communication and visibility strategy,
- Contribute to the development of new communication and visibility tools and the production of content for the RAAF’s website and social media,
- Represent the Advocacy and Communication Officer in workshops and meetings.
The specific action will focus on the visibility of project’s activities and results and the implementation a knowledge management and dissemination system (internal and external).
This includes, among others:
- Ensure the production, management and proper information flow within and outside West Africa so as to effectively contribute to the achievement of the project's objectives,
- Facilitate communication with all stakeholders involved in the project’s implementation,
- Produce or revise communication materials for beneficiaries and partners, in accordance with the RAAF's graphic and branding charter and the project’s objectives,
- Manage project’s visits and fact-finding missions,
- Contribute to the setting up of an information monitoring mechanism relevant to the project,
- Consolidate a contacts list for the dissemination of the contents produced by the project,
- Build a relationship of trust with media representatives and ensure visibility of the project,
- Develop project-specific communication tools and materials,
- Carry out any other assignment by RAAF.
Qualifications / Experience
- Have a University degree (at least Bac+3 years) in communication, sociology or any other relevant related area of specialization,
- Have at least 5 years of relevant experience in the field of information and communication management.
- Have experience in the development of communication tools/materials for increasing the visibility of a project, a strategy or an organization,
- Have a good command of the techniques of participatory communication and information collection,
- Have experience in working with projects or NGOs in rural areas, experience with an international organization being an asset,
- Have a good command of the computer tool: software such as Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, Picture manager, etc.
- Have a good command of the use of digital cameras for photos and videos,
- Have a good command of the use of social media (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter),
- Be able to write clear and precise activity reports capitalizing on experiences and lessons learned,
- Have very good writing skills (press releases, articles, other contents), a knowledge of graphic design being an asset,
- Have the ability to work within a multicultural environment such as the ECOWAS one.
- Must speak and read fluently one of the three (03) official languages of ECOWAS (English, French, Portuguese). A working knowledge of a second language is an advantage.
Location, Duration and Start of the mission
- The consultant will be based in Lomé, Togo Republic, at the Headquarters of the Regional Agency for Agriculture and Food,
- The duration of the mission is twelve (12) months with the possibility of an extension based on funds availability and performance,
- The mission will start within two weeks after contract notification.
The application package is made up of:
- A letter of expression of interest, including the period of availability,
- A recent curriculum vitae detailing work experience and similar assignments,
- Three (03) professional references (first and last names, current position, position at the time of the collaboration with the Consultant, email and telephone contacts),
- Copy of the highest degree in communication, sociology, or any other relevant related area of specialization,
- Copy of work certificates or assignments completion mentioned in the curriculum vitae.
NB: Any incomplete application file will be rejected.
The Consultant will be selected based on the qualification/experience-based selection method as defined in the ECOWAS Public Markets Code. An interview session may be organized with a short list of consultants.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. RAAF reserves the right not to act on this expression of interest.
Applications are received no later than 15 May 2020 at 4:00 PM GMT, by physical deposits or by e-mail at the following addresses:
Regional Agency for Agriculture and Food (RAAF),
83, Rue de la Pâture, Lomé, Togo (sealed envelope : “Consultant, Communication Assistant/ RAAF)". firstname.lastname@example.org
With the subject: "Consultant, Communication Assistant/ RAAF ".
NB: Applications not bearing “Consultant, Communication Assistant/ RAAF” will not be considered.