The ECOWAS Heads of State and Government adopted, in January 2005 in Accra, the regional agricultural policy, ECOWAP, which constitutes the regional declination of the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP), the agricultural component of NEPAD.
Within the framework of the implementation of ECOWAP 2025 and PRIASAN 2016-2020, ECOWAS received financial support from the Swiss Cooperation (SDC) as a contribution to the ECOWAS Regional Investment Programme for Livestock Development in Coastal Countries (PRIDEC).
This SDC contribution is part of the implementation of the Programme to support the marketing of meat cattle in West Africa (PRIDEC/PACBAO). It aims to develop competitive, regional and inclusive livestock/meat value chains by enhancing the value of West African pastoral and agro-pastoral livestock farming, integrating herders and pastoralists into these value chains under remunerative conditions, and satisfying the demand for meat from households in the region. This programme is being implemented in the 15 ECOWAS Member States and Chad.
The implementation of the said programme is ensured by the Regional Agency for Agriculture and Food (ARAA) which was created by Regulation C/REG.1/08/11. Its mandate is "to ensure the technical execution of regional investment programmes and plans contributing to the operationalisation of the ECOWAS agricultural policy, with the support of regional institutions, organisations and actors with proven expertise". As such, it ensures the implementation of several projects and programmes contributing to the operationalization of the ECOWAS Regional Agricultural Policy.
Within the framework of the support to the implementation of PRIDEC/PACBAO, ARAA is recruiting a project officer.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support ARAA's Technical Operations Division and the PRIDEC/PACBAO Project Officer based at the ECOWAS Directorate of Agriculture and Rural Development in Abuja in the preparation and follow-up of dossiers relating to the implementation of PRIDEC-PACBAO and other programmes;
- Contribute to the support of the professionalization and structuring of the livestock-meat and milk sectors and related activities in the ECOWAS area (OHADA code versus ECOWAS regulation);
- Support the collection of information from stakeholders in the livestock and meat sector, in particular COFENABVI, APESS, RBM and the 16 field project leaders selected during the recent call for proposals,
- To support the development of tools for the control of technical itineraries for the production and marketing of high added value animal products in the ECOWAS space and those for the dissemination of results and achievements of field projects (technical sheets, success stories and good practices, publications, etc.);
- Contribute to the formulation and development of regional projects and actions on livestock-meat and milk value chains to enable the mobilization of international funds;
- Prepare and coordinate the preparation of monthly, quarterly, biannual and annual PRIDEC-PACBAO reports;
- Carry out any other tasks as assigned by the Head of the Technical Operations Division of the ARAA.
Qualifications / Experience
- Have a university degree (BAC+4 years at least) in Agronomy, Zootechnics, Animal Production, Project Management, Agroeconomy or any related field;
- Have at least 5 years of relevant experience in the Livestock sector, including Livestock and Meat Marketing (ECOWAS).
- Have previous professional experience in international, regional or national institutions in the field of livestock and more particularly in the structuring of the livestock-meat and milk sectors and related activities;
- Have contributed to the development of various tools on the support of the livestock meat sector.
- To have conducted field activities on the promotion of livestock related sectors.
- Have contributed to the management of projects in collaboration with different types of actors
- Capacity to conduct surveys and ensure good data collection;
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural team;
- Knowledge of the regional agricultural policy and the institutional environment of ECOWAS and its Member States in the field of livestock sectors;
- Have excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate, write, draft programmes and cooperate with people from different cultural backgrounds and disciplines.
- Strong competence in the management of livestock projects and particularly in the various promising sectors including the marketing of livestock and meat;
- Good practice in the management of projects of regional or national scope;
- Have a general knowledge of the agriculture/livestock sector in the West African region;
- Have a good knowledge of ECOWAS and the Institutions of the Community;
- Ability to synthesize documents, communication and good computer skills (word processing, data management, presentation, video conferencing), etc. ;
- Have skills in field data collection and analysis and report writing;
- Ability to work in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment such as that of ECOWAS;
- Be in good health and available for frequent travel;
- Have a good capacity to plan and implement project activities.
- Must speak and read fluently one of the official languages of ECOWAS (English, French, Portuguese). A working knowledge of a second language would be an advantage.
Location, Duration and start of the mission
- The consultant will be based in Lomé, Togo, at the headquarters of the Regional Agency for Agriculture and Food;
- The duration of the mission is twelve (12) months with the possibility of renewal depending on the availability of funds and the performance of the consultant;
- The mission will start within two weeks at the latest following the signature of the contract for the provision of intellectual services.
The application file is made up:
- A letter of expression of interest, including the deadline for availability;
- A recent curriculum vitae detailing professional experience and similar assignments;
- Three professional references (first and surname), current position, position at the time of the collaboration with the Consultant, email and telephone contacts.
- Scanned copy of highest diploma (original may be requested for verification);
- Copy of certificates of work or service rendered, listed in the curriculum vitae.
NB: Any incomplete document will be rejected.
The Consultant will be selected according to the qualification-based selection method as defined in the ECOWAS Code. An interview session may be organized with a short list of consultants.
Only shortlisted applications will be contacted. RAAF reserves the right not to act on this expression of interest.
Applications are received no later than 15 MAY 2020 at 4:00 PM GMT, by physical deposits or by e-mail at the following addresses:
Regional Agency for Agriculture and Food (RAAF),
83, Rue de la Pâture, Lomé, Togo (sealed envelope: "Assistant Consultant in charge of the PACBAO Project ". Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: " Consultant Project Manager PACBAO -RAAF ".
NB: Applications which do not bear the words "Assistant Consultant in charge of the PACBAO Project " will not be considered.