Objectives pursued by the establishment of the RAG-CLIN
- Analyze the stakes of the Conferences of the Parties (COPs) and other relevant meetings of international negotiations on climate change and suggest constitutive elements for a West African common position;
- Assist the ECOWAS Commission during informal consultations and side events at the COPs and other relevant meetings of the associated agreements.
- Build the capacities of national institutions and representatives of ECOWAS Member States for the preparation and review of decision proposals and support them during the negotiations happening during COPs and other related relevant meetings;
- Stimulate and intensify strategic dialogue within West Africa on climate negotiations.
Project or context description
ECOWAS wishes to set up a Regional Advisory Group for Climate International Negotiations (RAG-CLIN) to support its member states and be proactive in defending common West African interests within the African Group of Negotiators (AGN), in particular to better coordinate common regional positions on relevant areas of competence of ECOWAS.
To this end, ECOWAS intends to select climate change experts with experiences in international negotiations within the framework of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and the Paris Agreement on climate.
The RAG-CLIN is established in the form of a technical advisory-support body to the ECOWAS Commission, placed under the supervision of the Department for Agriculture, Environment and Natural Resources of the ECOWAS Commission.
This group should be formed in early 2021. ECOWAS mandated the GCCA+ West Africa project to support the operationalization of the group. The implementing regulation relative to the RAG-CLIN is not yet formally adopted by the Commission, therefore the first few months of operating the RAG-CLIN will constitute a prefiguration phase during which the coordination and operational mechanisms will be tested and could then evolve.
Focus on the GCCA+ West Africa project
The GCCA+ WA project aims at contributing to the West African regional effort for the implementation of the Paris Agreement through capacity building of ECOWAS, and its other regional partner institutions and its Member States. Funded by the European Union (EU) for a budget of 12.1 million euros, the project is implemented by Expertise France under the political and institutional leadership of ECOWAS, and with the technical partnership of CILSS for specific activities related to information, training and research.
Expert candidates for the RAG-CLIN must possess the following qualifications:
- An advanced university degree in law, economics, energy, social sciences, environmental studies, natural sciences, engineering, development studies or any other related discipline.
- Technical or scientific expertise specialized in at least one of the four fields referred to in point 3 above, including through publications.
- At least 5 years of experience in international climate negotiations.
- A very good proficiency in English, and the proficiency in one other official language of ECOWAS (French, Portugese) will be an asset.
- Strong operational and analytical skills as well as writing skills, including in English.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
Each candidate must submit a CV and a cover letter in english to Cécile VIVIEN email@example.com / candidates can ask for clarifications or additional information until January, 13th.
See details in the ToRs
The job offer will close on the 17/01/2021 23:59, at 23:59 Paris time.
Selection criteria for applications
The selection process for candidates will be based on the following criteria :
- Candidate's knowledges related to local context (country or region intervention)
- Candidate’s expected linguistic understanding
- Candidate’s experiences linked with the expert mission
- Candidate’s skills linked with the expert mission
- Candidate’s training/skills/experience
- Candidate’s understanding of cooperation project stakes
- Candidate’s understanding of the mission’s role in the cooperation project
For more information click on this link : https://www.expertisefrance.fr/web/guest/on-recrute#page-6098---1---expe...