Closure Date : 10/Feb/2020, 10:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit : SFW
Job Type : Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Grade Level: N/A
Primary Location : Togo-Lome
Duration: 11 months renewable
Post Number: N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) are collaborating on a new 5-year project: Global Transformation of Forests for People and Climate: a focus on West Africa. The project is key to the rolling out of the ECOWAS Convergence Plan for the Sustainable Management and Use of Forest Ecosystems in West Africa, which aims to mobilize political, institutional, financial and technical support to address transboundary forest issues across ECOWAS’s 15 member states.
The project’s objective is to strengthen decision-making on forests and land management across West Africa by improving knowledge of forest dynamics, supporting legal reform, and demonstrating and sharing the best community-based forest practices across the region and globally.
The international consultant will work under the overall administrative supervision of the Coordinator of the sub regional office for West Africa and under the overall technical supervision of the Team Leader of REDD+ at the HQ. S/he will work under the direct supervision of the project manager with the technical advice of FAO experts on community-based forestry, and in collaboration with the FAO’s Regional Office for Africa (RAF), the country Offices and the Forestry technical division.
The International Consultant will support the implementation of the project’s component related to community-based forestry, specifically: (i) community-based demonstration projects in each ECOWAS member states and (ii) multi-country exchanges of best practices on community-based forestry. The demonstration projects will be selected through a call for proposals process and focused on supporting community-level interventions that contribute to addressing transboundary challenges to sustainable forest management. Case studies developed from the implementation of these projects will be shared through regional knowledge exchanges with decision-makers, amongst other examples.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Lead and coordinate the sub-regional call for proposals on community-based demonstration projects (i.e. application template, launch, fair and transparent screening, etc.), and the subsequent service agreement with the selected partners.
- Coordinate technical support and monitor the gender-responsive implementation of selected demonstration projects, including on-site visits as needed to review progress and challenges.
- In collaboration with the gender consultant, provide training and /or coaching to ensure a gender responsive approach during the implementation of demonstration projects, respecting the project’s gender action plan.
- Review and track the regular submission of reports, identifying milestones as well as issues where technical support may be needed.
- Building on previous initiatives, compile and review best practices of community-based forestry and relevant case studies to inform the development of a West Africa Knowledge Portal on Forests, and sub-regional exchanges.
- Support the development of a sub-regional community of practices on forest resource conservation and management.
- Support ongoing resource mobilization efforts for the West Africa regional FAO office, with a focus on community-based forestry projects.
- Other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced University Degree in the field of forestry, rural development, environmental sciences, international politics or equivalent;
- Professional experience of at least 5 years in a relevant field (community forestry, rural development, agroforestry, climate change mitigation etc.);
- Working Knowledge of English and French.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Communication Skills
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work
- Very good sense of organization and ability to meet tight deadlines;
- Ability to prioritize tasks;
- Ability to work in a harmonious and effective way in a multicultural team;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to maintain effective working relationships with supervisors and colleagues.
Demonstrable experience of community-based resource management projects;
Experience in West African countries will be considered an asset;
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
Candidates should upload language certificate/s when submitting their application.
For more information, visit the FAO employment website
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline
If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT
For more information please : https://jobs.fao.org/careersection/fao_external/jobdetail.ftl?job=1903000&tz=GMT%2B01%3A00&tzname=Europe%2FBerlin