The ECOWAS Heads of State and Government adopted, in January 2005 in Accra, the regional agricultural policy, ECOWAP, which constitutes the regional declination of the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP), the agricultural component of NEPAD.
Within the institutional framework for the implementation of this policy, Regulation C/REG.1/08/11 established the Regional Agency for Agriculture and Food (RAAF). Its mandate is to "Ensure the technical implementation of programs and regional investment plan and contribute to the operationalization of the ECOWAS agricultural policy, by working with regional institutions, agencies and stakeholders with proven expertise".
The Agency, which has its headquarters in Lome, Togolese Republic, was officially launched on 27 September 2013.
Since its launching, RAAF has ensured the implementation of several projects and programmes contributing to the operationalization of the ECOWAS Regional Agricultural Policy.
With financial support of the Swiss Cooperation through the Livestock Marketing Support Programme in West Africa (PACBAO), RAAF is recruiting a Consultant, Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant in order to support the monitoring and evaluation services.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the coordination of the Executive Director and the supervision of the Strategic Planning and Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, the consultant will be responsible for:
- Contributing to the deployment of the RAAF monitoring-evaluation system, including the regular updating of data, tools, templates and data collection procedures;
- Providing support for the management of monitoring and evaluation databases within the RAAF or projects and programmes;
- Updating the indicators of the performance measurement framework of the West African Livestock Marketing Support Program (PACBAO);
- Conduct Data Assessment Quality of data generated by projects and programs within RAAF;
- Contributing to reporting, projects and programmes planning as well as their consolidation in accordance with the procedures;
- Contributing to the evaluation of field projects and the consolidation of the resulting aide- memoires and monitoring the implementation of recommendations;
- Conducting qualitative and quantitative data analysis;
- Contributing to the analysis of requests submitted by field projects in order to provide answers within the required deadlines;
- Contributing to the RAAF 's call for proposals process (preparation of guidelines, launch, quality analyses of projects and logical frameworks, consolidation of evaluations, meetings of the standing committee on calls for proposals);
- Representing the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer in monitoring and evaluation workshops and meetings;
- Carrying out any other task entrusted to him/her in relation to his/her of competence by his/her hierarchy.
Qualifications / Experience
- Must have a university degree in agricultural economics, rural development, economics, agronomy, agro-economics, statistics or any related discipline (BAC+4 years);
- Have at least 5 years of relevant experience in the field of project management in monitoring and evaluation.
- Have a solid knowledge of the agricultural sector in the West African region and experience in planning, research, monitoring and evaluation of projects and programmes;
- Have a good experience in the management of S&E databases for complex programs;
- Prior knowledge of statistical analysis, quantitative and qualitative data collection, processing and analysis
- Strong familiarity with results-based management and logical frameworks;
- Experience in mobile or tablet data collection and processing is highly desirable;
- Organisational, communication and computer skills also recommended;
- Excellent technical writing skills;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment such as that of ECOWAS;
- Have a solid knowledge and advanced use of statistical software (SPSS, STATA, etc.) and the Microsoft office package.
- Must speak and read fluently one of the official languages of ECOWAS (English, French, Portuguese). A working knowledge of a second language would be an advantage.
Location, Duration and start of the mission
- The consultant will be based in Lome, Togo, at the headquarters of the Regional Agency for Agriculture and Food.
- The duration of the mission is twelve (12) months with the possibility of an extension according to the availability of funds and the performance.
- The assignment will start within two weeks after contract notification.
The application file package is made up of:
- A letter of expression of interest, including the period of availability;
- A recent curriculum vitae detailing the work experience and similar assignments;
- Three professional references (names and forenames, current functions, functions at the time of the collaboration with the Consultant, email and telephone contacts)
- Copy of the highest degree in agricultural economics, rural development, economics, agronomy, agro-economics, statistics or any related discipline;
- Copy of employment Certificate or assignments completion mentioned in the curriculum vitae.
NB: Any incomplete document will be rejected.
Submission of applications
Applications are received no later than 15 May 2020 at 4:00 PM GMT, by physical deposits or by e-mail at the following addresses:
Regional Agency for Agriculture and Food (RAAF),
83, Rue de la Pâture, Lomé, Togo (sealed envelope: “Consultant, Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant/ RAAF)". email@example.com
With object: "Consultant, Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant / RAAF ".
NB: Applications which are not marked “Consultant, Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant/ RAAF” will not be considered.
The Consultant will be selected according to the qualification-based selection method as defined in the ECOWAS Code. An interview session may be organized with a short list of consultants.
Only shortlisted applications will be contacted. RAAF reserves the right not to act on this expression of interest.