The ECOWAS Regional Plan for Agricultural Investment and Food and Nutrition Security (PRIASAN) was launched in 2016 for a period of 5 years with the following objectives: 1) Contribute to increasing productivity and agro-sylvo-pastoral and fisheries production via diversified and sustainable production systems, and reduce post-production losses; 2) Promote contractual and inclusive agricultural and agri-food value chains oriented towards regional and international demand with a view to regional market integration; 3) Improve access to food, nutrition and resilience of vulnerable rural populations; and 4) Improve the business environment, governance and financing mechanisms of the agricultural and agri-food sector.
FAO will support ECOWAS to conduct a targeted evaluation of investments in the livestock sector within the framework of PRISAN implementation. The results of this assessment will enable FAO to develop a joint FAO-ECOWAS regional program to support the improvement of investments in the livestock sector based on the assessment results.
Objective of the mission
The overall objective of the consultation is to conduct a targeted evaluation of the investments made in livestock under PRIASAN.
Specifically, this will involve:
- To carry out and validate a targeted evaluation of the investments made in the livestock sector within the framework of PRIASAN.
- To develop a joint FAO-ECOWAS regional program to support improved investment in the livestock sector based on the results of the evaluation.
- To organize a validation meeting of the joint regional program in the livestock sector.
Under the technical supervision of FAO, the consultant will:
- Propose a detailed work plan to be validated by a study monitoring committee composed of ECOWAS and FAO staff
- Conduct targeted evaluation of investments in the livestock sector under PRIASAN.
- Present the draft to the study monitoring committee for validation
- Develop a joint FAO-ECOWAS regional program to support improved investment in the livestock sector based on the results of the evaluation.
- Prepare and facilitate the technical validation workshop of the Joint FAO-ECOWAS Regional Program.
Qualifications, skills and experience
The consultant must be a specialist in animal farming, with a PFD or at least a five-year degree in agronomy, agro-economics, economics, statistics, or any other equivalent degree.
The consultant shall have:
- At least 15 years of experience in the field of commodity chain analysis, formulation or support to policies, programs or development projects in the rural sector, development of joint programs especially in West Africa and the Sahel;
- A good knowledge of the context of the livestock sector in West Africa and the Sahel.
- Have conducted at least one external evaluation of a program, regional or national multi-donor projects preferably;
- A good knowledge of projects and programs in the fields of agriculture and food in West Africa and a good knowledge of the agricultural policy of ECOWAS (ECOWAP/CAADP), WAEMU and CILSS programs;
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills including writing reports and policy documents;
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment and with a diversity of partners at the national, regional and global levels;
- Good time management skills, including the ability to meet deadlines and multi-task with a high degree of autonomy;
- Proficiency in at least one official language spoken in the ECOWAS region; proficiency in a second language would be an asset.
- A perfect command of the use of information and communication technologies.
Fluency in one of the three working languages of ECOWAS (English, French, Portuguese) is required. Good linguistic knowledge (written and oral) of a second working language of the Commission would be an asset.
They will consist of:
- An expression of interest letter, including time availability;
- A recent résumé detailing work experience and similar missions;
- Three professional references (full names, positions, emails and phone contacts);
- Copy of higher degrees(s);
- Copies of work or service certificates listed on your résumé.
- A detailed methodology and work plan for the execution of the mission. (Applicants will be able to download the terms of reference of the mission).
Submission of applications
Applications are received at the latest on 17 June 2022, at 17H00 GMT, hand-delivered or by email at the following addresses:
Regional Agency for Agriculture and Food (RAAF),
83, Rue de la Pâture, Lomé, Togo (in a sealed envelope marked: “Selection of an individual consultant, for the evaluation of the livestock component of PRIASAN and the development of a joint FAO-ECOWAS regional support program for the livestock component of PRIASAN”
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, subject: “Selection of an individual consultant, for the evaluation of the livestock component of PRIASAN and the development of a joint FAO-ECOWAS regional support program for the livestock component of PRIASAN”.
Method of selection
Consultants will be selected according to selection method based on qualification as defined method as defined in the ECOWAS Public Procurement Code.
Only shortlisted consultants will be contacted. RAAF reserves the right not to proceed with this call for applications.