The ECOWAS Heads of State and Government adopted, in January 2005 in Accra, the regional agricultural policy, ECOWAP, which constitutes the regional declination of the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP), the agricultural component of NEPAD.
Within the institutional framework for the implementation of this policy, Regulation C/REG.1/08/11 established the Regional Agency for Agriculture and Food (RAAF). Its mandate is to "Ensure the technical implementation of programs and regional investment plan and contribute to the operationalization of the ECOWAS agricultural policy, by working with regional institutions, agencies and stakeholders with proven expertise".
The Agency, which has its headquarters in Lome, Togolese Republic, was officially launched on 27 September 2013.
Since its launching, RAAF has ensured the implementation of several projects and programmes contributing to the operationalization of the ECOWAS Regional Agricultural Policy.
The Swiss Cooperation supports the implementation of ECOWAP through, among others, the financing of the Support Programme for Livestock Marketing in West Africa (PACBAO). Within this framework, ARAA has obtained the partner's agreement for the recruitment of a "Consultant Project Officer PACBAO" to assist the Directorate of Agriculture and Rural Development (Abuja) in the planning, coordination and implementation of the Programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
To support the Directorate of Agriculture and Rural Development in liaison with the Regional Agency for Agriculture and Food in the elaboration of the Annual Work Plan and Budget for its approval by the steering and governance bodies of PACBAO :
- Prepare and coordinate the preparation of monthly, quarterly, half-yearly and annual reports;
- Ensure the follow-up and implementation of WAMCP activities in liaison with the Regional Animal Health Centre (CSRA), the Confederation of National Federations of the Livestock and Meat Sector of West Africa (COFENABVI-AO) and the "back stoping" of the Project;
- Actively collaborate with other ECOWAS Programmes and Projects intervening in the livestock sector;
- Represent the Directorate of Agriculture and Rural Development in meetings and discussions related to livestock/meat marketing;
- Advise the Directorate of Agriculture and Rural Development on livestock development and more particularly on the fluidity of livestock and meat trade;
- Cooperate with the Executive Directorate of ARAA, the ECOWAS Directorates in charge of Trade, Customs, Private Sector and Free Movement of Goods and Persons, the Regional Animal Health Centre within the framework of this mandate;
- Execute any other task entrusted to it by the Directorate of Agriculture and Rural Development.
Qualifications / Experience
- Have a university degree (BAC+4 years) in Agronomy, Zootechnics, Animal Production, Project Management, Agroeconomics or any related field.
- Have at least 5 years of relevant experience in the Livestock sector, including Livestock Marketing (ECOWAS).
- Have a good practice of Regional Project Management and Coordination;
- Have a general knowledge of the agricultural/livestock sector in the West African region;
- Have a good knowledge of ECOWAS and the Institutions of the Community;
- Have a good sense of organization, document synthesis, communication and good computer skills (word processing, data management, presentation, video conferencing) etc. ;
- Excellent technical writing skills;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment such as that of ECOWAS;
- Be in good health and be available for frequent travel
- Must speak and read fluently one of the official languages of ECOWAS (English, French, Portuguese). A working knowledge of a second language would be an advantage.
Location, Duration and start of the mission
- The consultant will be based in Abuja (Nigeria) within the Directorate of Agriculture and Rural Development;
- The duration of the mission is twelve (12) months with the possibility of renewal depending on the availability of funds and the performance of the consultant;
- The mission will start within two weeks at the latest following the signature of the intellectual service contract.
The application file package is made up of:
- A letter of expression of interest, including the period of availability;
- A recent curriculum vitae detailing the work experience and similar assignments;
- Three professional references (names and forenames, current functions, functions at the time of the collaboration with the Consultant, email and telephone contacts)
- Copy of the highest degree in agricultural economics, rural development, economics, agronomy, agro-economics, statistics or any related discipline;
- Copy of employment Certificate or assignments completion mentioned in the curriculum vitae.
NB: Any incomplete document will be rejected.
Submission of applications
Applications are received no later than 15 May 2020 at 4:00 PM GMT, by physical deposits or by e-mail at the following addresses:
Regional Agency for Agriculture and Food (RAAF),
83, Rue de la Pâture, Lomé, Togo (sealed envelope: “Consultant Project Officer PACBAO -/ RAAF)".
Subject: "Consultant Project Officer PACBAO - RAAF ".
NB: Applications that do not bear the mention "Consultant Project Officer PACBAO - RAAF " will not be considered.
The Consultant will be selected according to the qualification-based selection method as defined in the ECOWAS Code. An interview session may be organized with a short list of consultants.
Only shortlisted applications will be contacted. RAAF reserves the right not to act on this expression of interest.