The Regional Agency for Agriculture and Food (RAAF) was created by the ECOWAS Commission through Regulation C/REG.1/08/11 with a mandate to “Ensure the technical implementation of programs and regional investment plans and contribute to the operationalization of the ECOWAS agricultural policy, by working with regional institutions, agencies and stakeholders with proven expertise”.
The Agency, which has its headquarters in Lomé, was officially launched on 27th September 2013.
Since its launching, RAAF has ensured the implementation of projects and programmes contributing to the operationalization of the ECOWAS Agricultural Policy.
In order to support the Administration and Finance Division in the accounting management of projects and programmes, the Regional Agency for Agriculture and Food (RAAF) is seeking an accountant-consultant.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the coordination of the RAAF Executive Director and the supervision of the Head of the Administration and Finance Division, the Consultant will be responsible for:
- Ensuring the entry of accounting documents in SAP (FICO) and the collation of accounting documents;
- Ensuring the follow-up of advances made to field project leaders;
- Ensuring the monthly bank reconciliation report in SAP (FICO);
- Analyzing accounts and making adjustment postings in SAP (FICO);
- Preparing payment statements and their following ups;
- Preparing, consolidating and implementing annual project budgets;
- Supervising the day-to-day activities of the accounting and finance section;
- Implementing adequate internal controls to safeguard project assets and liabilities;
- Preparing quarterly, semi-annual and annual financial implementation reports;
- Preparing annual financial statements in accordance with IPSAS;
- Coordinating the inventory and valuation of end of year assets;
- Ensuring timely availability of funds and supervising disbursements to project owners, suppliers, consultants and any other actors involved in the implementation of projects;
- Participating in the organization of meetings, workshops and gatherings;
- Ensuring the financial and accounting supervision of field projects in the ECOWAS area;
- Preparing all reports and financial statements for internal and external audits and ensure the proper conduct of such audits;
- Preparing requests to advances to various financial partners;
- Ensuring the implementation of audit and the steering committee recommendations.
- Carrying out any other task entrusted to him/her in relation to his/her area of competence by his/her hierarchy.
Qualifications / Experiences
- Must have a University degree in accounting and finance or in management (Bac+4), (a qualification in ACCA /CPA would be an asset)
- Have at least 5 years of relevant experience in the field of accounting as an accountant.
- Have a solid knowledge of accounting and analysis of accounting documents and also the preparation of financial statements;
- Have a good knowledge of accounting standards, in particular IPSAS (International Public Sector Accounting Standard);
- Have a strong knowledge of accounting management software, in particular SAP (FICO, FM and GM);
- Have an adequate knowledge of financial information and presentation of reports in accordance with IPSAS standards;
- Ability to prepare budgets and coordinate its execution;
- Ability to supervise a team and have a good team-leading spirit,
- To be able to maintain good inter-professional relations;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment such as ECOWAS;
- Good command of the use of computers, especially the following software: Word, Excel, Power Point, SAP (FICO, FM, GM);
Must speak and read fluently one of the official languages of ECOWAS: English, French
and Portuguese. A working knowledge of a second language would be an advantage.
Location, duration and start of the mission
The consultant will be based in Lomé in Togo, at the headquarters of the Regional Agency for Agriculture and Food. The duration of the mission is twelve (12) months with the possibility of an extension according to the availability of funds and performance. The assignment will start within two weeks after contract notification.
The application package is made up of:
- A letter of expression of interest, including the period of availability;
- A recent curriculum vitae detailing the work experience and similar assignments;
- Three professional references (names and forenames, current functions, functions at the time of collaboration with the Consultant, email and telephone contacts);
- Copy of the highest degree in Accounting / Finance or Management;
- Copies of employment Certificate or assignment completion mentioned in the CV.
NB: Any uncompleted document will be rejected.
Submission of applications
Applications are received no later than 13th March 2020 at 16 h 00 mn GMT, by physical deposits or by e-mail at the following addresses:
Regional Agency for Agriculture and Food (RAAF)
83, Rue de la Pâture, Lomé Togo (sealed envelope « Accountant -Consultant /RAAF »)
With object: " Accountant -Consultant /RAAF "
The Consultant will be selected according to the qualification-based selection method as defined in the ECOWAS procurement Code. An interview session may be organized with a short list of consultants.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. ARAA reserves the right not to act on this expression of interest.